Fred Post Brock 828 History
The American Legion Fred Brock Post #828 has a long and colorful history, which dates back to 1932 when George D. Newton Post #420 0f San Antonio received its Temporary and Permanent Charter.
On April 6, 1942, a Constitution and By-Laws amendment was adopted by the American Legion Department for the organization of Colored Veterans of the World War in Texas. In order to organize a post, it was necessary to have ten (10) charter members with the annual dues set at one (1) dollar. J.E. Armstead, of Houston TX, was the first commander of the Colored Veterans of the World War and served from 1942-1945. During the convention each District had five (5) votes and one vote for the 6th Division and a total of 26 Negro votes.
In 1945, the Negro American Legion Post #420A was sponsored by Post #420. Post 420A came under the 22nd All Negro District which was headquartered in Houston TX. On January 1, 1946, Fred Brock Post #420A was granted a Temporary Charter. From 1946 - 1950, Post #420A did not have a home. These Legionnaires would rotate meeting at different Buddies homes.
On August 23, 1950 Negro Post #420A was presented a full charter and became Fred Brock Post #828. In 1950 Fred Brock Post #828 was assigned to the 27th District. From 1950 - 1959 Fred Brock Post #828 met in the Lindbergh Park building on the corner of Commerce and Walters Streets.
The American Legion Post #828 was named for Sergeant Fred Brock of the 598th Field Artillery Battalion, 92d Infantry Division, who was an Army Sergeant killed in the line of duty by a bolt of lightning during maneuvers at Fort Huachuca Arizona on August 18, 1943, while supervising the installation of a field telephone system. Fred Brock Jr. was born in San Antonio, Texas to Celestine Hughes Brock and Fred Brock, Sr.He attended Brackenridge Elementary School, Douglass Junior School, and graduated from Phillis Wheatley High School, all of the San Antonio Independent School District.